Use your CUCM to load sip, even in the lab or real world it works best.
Then once upgraded point the tftp (option 150) back at the CME and you then
can get registered on the CME.

I have done this several times without issue.  However, I seldom work with
7960, mostly 61/62/65.

I think from reading the forums that the 7960's might be more difficult to
get SIP working on but I know getting SIP working with CME is very difficult
(which is why I have VM of CUCM on my PC, to upgrade phones in the field
that need SIP and not to local CME or over slow WAN to CUCM)