I am not familiar with Marko's approach for "on-screen" window placement.

I actually don't have a specific strategy in this area.

I do create a notepad file for the following:

basic.txt               :  basic infrastructure notes and notes on phone/user
configs
sw.txt          : switch configs
hq.txt          : HQ gateway/router configs
sb.txt          : Site B gateway/router configs
sc.txt          : Site C gateway/router configs
rp.txt          : Route plan configs (when I get to that point)

I have the above .txt files open all of the time. I only keep basic.txt "up" on
the screen. I keep the others minimized. I restore them "as needed".

During the course of the exam I will create other notepad files temporarily.
Most notably:

1. When I create partitions. I have a naming convention that is basically
uniform across sites. So, I lay out the HQ versions in notepad. Paste in CUCM.
Then do a search/replace for "HQ"/"SB". Repeat for Site C. Kill the notepad

2. When I provision phones. I use a series of SQL commands from the CLI to
provision phones. I type them out in notepad and paste from there. Then I kill
the notepad.

3. Troubleshooting questions. Because I don't want to deal with VNC's sluggish
nature, I'll do my TS work in notepad on the candidate PC and then copy/paste
to the VNC desktop.

I think that's it.

As far as window orientation. I keep basic.txt in the top right corner of the
screen. If I need hq.txt/sb.txt/etc. then I restore to bottom right. I'll keep
(or try to keep) console sessions in the middle and IE sessions near the left.
But I haven't really thought about it that much.

-Bill

--
William Bell
blog: http://ucguerrilla.com