Correct. If you convert a phone to using External URLs only then you will be
breaking Messages button. You can apply a URL to the messages button but it
doesn't restore the behavior you are looking for because the VM services URL
that I have seen used/reference is a XML phone menu object. Which means you get
a menu.

So, what you are seeing is expected per the requirements of the OWLE lab.

-Bill
--
William Bell, CCIE #38914
blog: http://ucguerrilla.com