From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Martin Hallberg
Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2006 5:43 PM
To: Nat Echols
Cc: ccp4bb@dl.ac.uk
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb]: off-topic: Ni purification media

On Oct 8, 2006, at 10:46 PM, Nat Echols wrote:

>> The silica-based Ni-TED resin sold by Macherey-Nagel can take 10MPa
>> pressure (~1400 psi for the SI-challenged) while the Poros MC resin
>> takes 17 MPa (~2400 psi). Last time I checked, Ni-TED resin was
>> sold at
>> about the same price as the 1 MPa Pharmacia Sepharose (Swedish
>> prices).
>> Make sure that all parts of your purification setup can take these
>> pressures.
>
> I'll look into that media for sure - does it work well?

Same but different ;-) The possibility to elute at low imidazole
concentration (even lower than Talon) may be appreciated by your
protein.
Check out  their protocol at:
https://www.macherey-nagel.com/web/MN-WEB-Biokatalog.nsf/web/
PROTINOTED/$File/ProtinoNi_TED_R03.pdf

>   Also, which Sepharose can take 1MPa?  I haven't found anything
> capable of more than 0.3, even the "Fast Flow" columns.

None, according to Amersham-Pharmacia-GE Healthcare. As Artem said in
his previous posting, you can often use a pressure
up to 1 MPa with Fast-flow resin (your mileage may vary.. depending
on a lot of factors..).. Avoid the cheap HiTrap columns for
these experiments.

Cheers,

Martin

PS. I have no connection with Macherey-Nagel (more than that they
gave me 5 g Ni-TED resin for free to try out...)
PS2. They also sell a more traditional IDA-based resin. I haven't
tried that but note that it has the same pressure
limits as the Ni-TED.

  .
  B. Martin Hallberg, PhD
  Structural Genomics Consortium
  Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics
  Karolinska Institutet
  Scheeles väg 2
  SE-171 77 Stockholm
  http://sgc.ki.se/groupSB2.html