Except for the fact that in the last case, authors mentionned "imidazole-malate buffer" while they meant "magic mixture". If things work in "imidazole-malate" pH 8.5 what else counts (yet dont mention "buffer").

Pr. Nadir T. Mrabet
   Cellular & Molecular Biochemistry
   INSERM U-724
   UHP - Nancy 1, School of Medicine
   Avenue de la Foret de Haye, BP 184
   54505 Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy Cedex
   France
   Phone: +33 (0)3.83.68.32.73
   Fax:   +33 (0)3.83.68.32.79
   E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Cell.: +33 (0)6.11.35.69.09

LEGAL NOTICE
Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be
privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this E-mail by
anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or
copying of the contents of this E-mail, or any action taken (or not taken) in
reliance on it, is unauthorized and may be unlawful.
If you are not an addressee, please inform the sender immediately.

Oganesyan, Vaheh wrote:

It may be worth way more than 2 cents. Yesterday when I was adjusting pH's of
the buffers I realized that starting at about pH 8.2 and up this mix is not
really a buffer. pH was changing very fast with little of solution being added.
There are number of buffers (including Good buffers) that will cover pH's between 3-11. One place to look is a Hampton "pH Stock Option". The intriguing thing was to read in several papers where authors claimed that crystals could be obtained only in Imidazole-Malate buffer and including pH 8.5.

Thank you.

Vaheh Oganesyan, PhD
Scientist II
MedImmune, Inc.