If you look in the monomer library  $CLIBD/monomers/ener_lib.cif

There is a first approximation to expected VDW radi for all the atom types.
This gives a rough guide to expected VDW contact distances - which of course needs to be modified by local chemistry etc..

Eleanor

Jiamu Du wrote:

Dear Perrakis:
What I want to know is that in common protein strucuture articles, what is the van der Waals contact limit distance. I found some important contact in my strcuture, but the distance is about 3.5-4 angstrom. I am not so sure that if this is still within the distance limit of van der Waals contact. I have found some article mentioned van der Waals contact in their structure, but with none mention the distance limit they used.
So I need a accurite number to define van der Waals contact.
Thank you very much.