Hi

For your SAD / MAD data, firstly after merging can you see any peaks in the
anomolous difference patterson map - this is critical.  You could try using
SOLVE / RESOLVE or SHARP / AUTOSHARP to identify sites and to calculate phases,
as you have a little bit more control over the process.  You don't mention you
Space group - are there any ambiguities here?  If you have an poor initial MR
model, together with some poor anomolous phases then you could use SHARP for
phased molecular replacement.

For PHASER we have found that (unsurprisingly) in low identity cases it can be
very  sensitive to the quality of the MR model - have you carefully pared down
the model, removed loops, truncated non identical positions to C-beta etc?  Its
a little unclear from your mail (I may have missed some of this thread though)
how many mols you think there are in the ASU - my advice is to start simple -
ask PHASER to find one molecule (hit the all possible SG flag) and see what the
LLG and Z-score is, if you get a significant hit, then fix and re-run asking it
to find another (or just rerun asking it to find two) and so on - again LLG and
Z-score are critical here.  You may have to play with the clashing factor as
sometimes "good" hits are rejected because of clashes between bits of the MR
model that should have been deleted (if you consistently see logical packing
but two bits of the structure clash that could be reasonably shifted then
adjust your MR model accordingly) ! At each stage inspect the maps, the scores
and the packing really carefully.  If you have more than one template
structures try an ensemble of models as well.

Cheers

--
Professor James Whisstock
NHMRC Principal Research Fellow / Monash University Senior Logan fellow

Monash University, Clayton Campus, PO Box 13d, VIC, 3800, Australia
+613 9905 3747 (Phone)
+613 9905 4699 (Fax)
+61 418 170 585 (Mobile)