On Mar 15 2007, Yi Xue wrote:

So far, the native crystals diffracted best to 2.4A.  The MAD data
diffracted to 2.6~2.7A.  We attempted to use phenix.hyss to identify copper
atoms, and the program had hard time to identify the sites.

The protein: Cu ratio is around 1:1, which is decided by ICP-AES measurement of the crystallization sample, not derived from the number of peaks in the anomalous map.

The crystal contains copper as a cofactor, not a soaking derivative thing.

I used phaser to do the MR, basically, what I did was to search one copy each time, the top 20 solutions will be used to start the search of the next copy. It stuck after finding four copies, and, I tried to change the some paramters for searching, such as percentage for peaks, it did not help. I would love the hear from experienced people about some tricks using phaser to solve some difficult MR cases.

If you have even a partial molecular replacement solution, you might be able to use the molecular replacement model as a starting substructure for SAD phasing in the 2.0 version of Phaser. In some of our tests, this allows us to find anomalous scatterer sites that can't be found just from the anomalous differences, and the phases that result onced the anomalous scatterers have been added can be significantly better than the ones from MR alone. In your case, even if the phases weren't that much better, knowing the Cu positions would help you to place any missing molecules.

Doing this is currently (and temporarily) a bit awkward. You have to get the version of Phaser that comes with the current release of Phenix and then either run jobs using shell scripts (which I could provide) or from a beta version of the ccp4i interface (which I could also provide). The upcoming release of CCP4 will include the newer version of Phaser that carries out SAD phasing, plus the new interface, and a future version of Phenix will implement this option in one of its wizards.

Randy Read