Ngo Duc Tri wrote:
Dear CCP4 experts,
I'm working on a kind of cystein peptidase. It shows a little degradation after 2 days storing at 4 degree even I tried many kinds of protease inhibitors, or glycerol and DTT. So I decided to work fast (1 day) then set xtal. After one week I pick up some condition and check degradation by SDS-PAGE. It shows heavy degradation then I think it's impossible to obtain the crystal if I don't find out how to stop the degradation first.

Do you have any idea about my situation? Is it true that I need to stop the degradation and how to deal with it?
Thank you for your advices,

My best regards,
TriNgo

If I understand the problem properly, you are attempting to crystallize a peptidase that autolyzes in solution. If it is not possible to completely inhibit the protein with an analog or small molecule under crystallization conditions (and be able to crystallize the complex), then the most obvious solution to the problem is to prepare an inactive variant, e.g., with the mutation of the catalytically essential Cys to Ser. With any luck, the variant protein should still provide valuable structural and mechanistic context while avoiding pesky autolysis.

Cheers,

Roger S. Rowlett
Professor
Colgate University Presidential Scholar