Quoting Nian Huang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I will try that. But I don't think people can tell the final
concentration of glutaraldehyde in the drop by using its vapor. Maybe
using direct soaking is what I should do. By the way, should I quench
it by ammonium or not?

Nian Huang
Dept of Biochemistry
UT Southwestern Medical Center
Dallas, TX 75390

Often it's the case that explicit knowledge of the gluteraldehyde concentration
in the vapour isn't as important as empirical determination of the exposure
time you subject the drop to, prior to moving it to a new well of
non-crosslinking mother liquor.  Here's the first (to my knowledge) reference
that uses this technique; they mention using a time-course to determine when to
quench:

Lusty, CJ (1999) A gentle vapor-diffusion technique for cross-linking of protein
crystals for cryocrystallography.  J. Appl. Cryst. 32. 106-112.

Cheers,
d.s.

David M. Shechner, Graduate Student
Bartel Laboratory
Department of Biology
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
[EMAIL PROTECTED]