De : Ed Pozharski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Envoyé : Tuesday, April 08, 2008 3:56 PM
À : Philippe DUMAS
Cc : CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Objet : Re: [ccp4bb] Help with Superpose results

RMS deviation refers to the variance of a random variable - it is a
characteristic of the underlying probability distribution.  When you
superpose two different structures, you are looking at the DISTANCE
between atoms, not the DEVIATION in their position.  In fact, for
individual atoms you can't even say root-mean-square, it's just plain
distance.  The core argument is that you are looking at two structures
that represent different underlying probability distributions, and so
it's definitely not the rms deviation you are calculating, but rms
distance (rms over all the atoms in the structure).  HTH,

Ed.

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 11:07 +0200, Philippe DUMAS wrote:
> Although this is not a very important issue..., I am a bit surprised by
> Gerard's insistance for a 'stop calling rmsd "rms deviation"'. Isn'it a
> general term in statistical studies, valid for distances separating
> homologous atoms as well as for any other factor (B factors for example) ?
>
> Philippe Dumas
> IBMC-CNRS, UPR9002
> 15, rue Rene Descartes 67084 Strasbourg cedex
> tel: +33 (0)3 88 41 70 02
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Edwin Pozharski, PhD, Assistant Professor
University of Maryland, Baltimore
When the Way is forgotten duty and justice appear;
Then knowledge and wisdom are born along with hypocrisy.
When harmonious relationships dissolve then respect and devotion arise;
When a nation falls to chaos then loyalty and patriotism are born.