Thanks to everyone who helped with the self RF problem: Eleanor, Ian, Claudine, Pietro & Alexei.

Eleanor wrote:

1) It is a bit hard to find out how MOLREP defines its orthogonal axes - many programs use X0 || a, Yo || b* and in P21 hence Zortho is || to c* If that is what Molrep does then your 2 fold is in the a c* plane, 21 degrees or 111 degrees from c*.
The 2 peaks you see are symmetry equivalents.

This was my interpretation. Glad we agree ;-) The documentation says "A parallel to X , Cstar parallel to Z"

As for the Patterson - what height are those peaks relative to the origin?

The peaks are u = 0.129, v = 0.473, w = 0.220 (20% of origin peak height) and u = 0.180, v = 0.500, w = 0.248 (19%). What I don't get is why there are two and only one strong 2-fold. 2 dimers in the AU gives 50% solvent, 1 dimer 75%. The crystals diffract to 2.3Å, which would tip the balance in favour of 50% solvent in my opinion.

With 2 dimers in the asymm unit and with the non-cryst 2-fold perpendicular to b* you could have such translations between one monomer and another.

Would the 2-folds of both dimers have to be very similarly oriented? Maybe one peak masks the other at this resolution?

is there a model - easiest to solve it then analyse this sort of stuff later!

Believe me, we've been trying for a very long time! The problem is that it's a leucine rich repeat protein with under 30% sequence identity to any of the other LRR models out there. I think the failure of MR is down to a combination of a) the low homology, b) the pseudosymmetry, c) the nature of the LRR, which means you can get MR solutions that are out by one or more repeats. Maybe even the internal symmetry of the whole LRR structure can add to this pathology? We've had some solutions that looked almost right, but we can never see much more than what's already in the MR solution.

Ian wrote:

The symmetry of the self-RF is explained in detail in the documentation for POLARRFN, in fact I would advise you to use this because you can then plot monoclinic space groups with the unique b axis along the orthogonal Z axis (NCODE = 3) and then the symmetry is *much* easier to interpret.

The reason I started using Molrep was that POLARRFN always used to choke on these data. However that problem seems to have disappeared. Using ORTH 3 indeed gives a more interpretable plot, as you say.

According to polarrfn.doc the symmetry generated by a 2-fold along b parallel to Z is (180-theta, 180-phi, kappa) so the peak in the list (159,180,180) is the same as (21,0,180) which is a NCS 2-fold that you can see just below centre. The peak (111,0,180) is thus the same as (69,180,180) near the top which is another NCS 2-fold perp to the first generated by the crystallographic 2-fold.

Indeed, I see the peak (69, 180, 180) but I don't find it in the list in the log file from Molrep. I thought that list was supposed to be exhaustive. Also the plot is not well documented for Molrep. I wrote to the BB a while ago to ask what the contour levels were but no-one answered. By Googling I found a crystallisation paper where it was described as "from 0.5 sigma in steps of 0.5 sigma" but that information appears to have come by word of mouth. Also, is it just the "north hemisphere", as Claudine put it, that is plotted?

Anyway, I feel somewhat wiser now...

Derek