I suspect if you compare Ramachandran plots you'll find that
despite the slightly higher Rfree, the ncs-restrained
coordinates already have better geometry.

You probably need to optimize your ncs restraints.  For
example:
- remove the restraints all side chains that are in
different crystal packing environments on different monomers
- if your protein has more than one domain, they might be in
slightly different relative positions in different monomers,
in which case they should be restrained separately
- remove the restraints for any obviously-variable surface
loops

One way to find the problem areas is to superimpose
coordinates refined with and without the ncs restraints, and
look for interesting differences.  A more quantitative way
to do it is to plot the difference in real-space R for each
residue (after refining both ways), and look for spikes.  I
don't know how to do that with ccp4 but you can certainly do
it by running the real-space R routine in cns, then plugging
the output into excell.

Good luck!
Phoebe