I hope this isn't too much of a foray into philosophy and semantics, but can't you argue that the crystals themselves are weak complexes? And since the energies of crystal contacts are typically very weak, I would further argue that you should be able to crystallize ANY complex with an association constant corresponding to energies as low as those associated with crystal contacts. Of course, it's not guaranteed, any more than getting a crystal is guaranteed--you need some luck.

Of course, it's Monday AM, and I haven't approached my asymptote for caffeination. Am I talking through my hat?

Pat