Dear Jens,

There is an overwhelming amount of evidence that our mutants still binds to
the same site in solution and in vivo - there is a correlation between
decrease in binding affinity (calorimetric measurements) and
function (electrophysiological measurements) for more than 20 mutants based
on the structure. The native binding site was found in 3 different crystal
structures from independent groups (all different crystallization conditions
and different variants). A crystal artefact of the observed WT binding is
therefore excluded.

The crystal artefact is that we don't observe any binding in the crystal
structures of a set of mutants (neither to the native site, nor to any
other), whereas both calorimetric and electrophysiological data suggest
there should be binding in the 100-200nM range.  The binding is abolished
because of crystal contacts (+ crystallization conditions) for 100nM and
weaker binders, but not for 10nM and stronger binders. What you were saying
is the other way around (tight binders not binding).

Cheers

Filip Van Petegem

--
Filip Van Petegem, PhD