The word "weak" is, of course, relative.  Free energy of crystallization
is roughly 1-2 kcal/mole of crystal contacts (I think I carried this
number from Sir Blundell's book, but quick look at papers by Peter
Vekilov's group seems to confirm it - am I wrong on this?).  I think
that crystal contacts are still much weaker than any interaction of
biological importance (perhaps I am wrong on this one too and there are
important biological protein-protein interaction with 10mM affinity, but
I doubt that they are many).

--
Edwin Pozharski, PhD, Assistant Professor
University of Maryland, Baltimore