On Nov 18, 2008, at 8:47 AM, Jeff Speir wrote:

We also use OSX almost exclusively for our virus crystallography projects, for the same reasons given by Bill and Anastassis. Every now and then we have to spend time re-compiling some programs with larger parameters or up to 64-bit, so don't want the added hassle of tinkering with the hardware. More expensive, yes, but cost savings in other areas, namely time and maintenance. Also provides wide software compatibility between productivity/office and command line applications on a single machine. The Macs have good 64-bit hardware and OSX 10.5 runs 64-bit on the command line - the 32-bit and 64-bit programs run together transparently.

MacOS X.5 runs 64-bit GUI apps as well.* The CLI/GUI split that you mention was a limitation of MacOS X.4.

Ian

*Marketing link: <http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/64bit.html>

Currently having fun with an 8-core Mac Pro using 64-bit multi- threaded CNS v1.21. We can now run a capsid refinement in just under 50 minutes (uses all 8 cores and 3Gb of RAM), a remarkable speed increase. Many thanks to the CNS authors and contributors, and all the other software authors for OSX compatibility and support . Linux would work fine as well, but for the reasons given OSX on the Macs has been a highly productive solution for our needs.

Cheers,

Jeff