Brian,

There is one disadvantage with using AFP rather than wide open (potentially insecure) NFS mounts. Remote login via "ssh" into a client computer won't by default mount the
user's AFP home directory.   While it is possible to manually
mount the AFP home directory it may preclude other users from using the client
computer from the console. This feature of AFP is due to user-specific
mounting of the remote disk on the client computer.  I assume the same
feature would apply to Kerberized NFS mounts, but I haven't tried it.

This limitation of AFP requires some thought when using idle client computers
as compute servers.  We're using the Mac Server Xgrid service, along
with the freely available "GridStuffer.app" application to make submission of "batch" jobs
to all our Macs relatively easy.

Axel