That would have saved me a lot of time and frustration!  Now if only I
can remember this for the next time :-)

I have a 64bit Fedora 9 system running on an Lenovo Thinkstation D10 -
you can buy this without the operating system.  I used the 64bit option
as I'm processing very high resolution X-ray data and needed to use more
memory.  I was able to get a 16 GB system for a reasonable cost.

If you are a tinkerer and want a few days of 'fun' this is a way to go.
If not, commercially available Linux systems are available but I found
few with a large memory capacity.

Coot and CCP4 were a pain to compile in 64 bit mode (not the developers
problem, just mine for trying to get them to work in 64 bit).  I had to
play with some header definitions, lop h's off etc, add using namespace
std and, install a lot of libraries but they now work well.  Coot reads
all the svg files and displays all the pretty icons.  I like the PC
Linux route mainly because the hardware is less expensive and easier to
swap out components.  I am used to Fedora and manage my own system so
for the moment I plan to stick with that but it sounds like Ubuntu looks
like an interesting way to go. Has anyone had any experiences in
transitioning from Fedora to Ubuntu?  Is it something to think about, a
Thanksgiving project mainly?

Cheers,

Eddie

Edward Snell Ph.D.
Assistant Prof. Department of Structural Biology, SUNY Buffalo,
Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute
700 Ellicott Street, Buffalo, NY 14203-1102
Phone:     (716) 898 8631         Fax: (716) 898 8660
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Telepathy: 42.2 GHz

Heisenberg was probably here!