I want to impose restraints during REFMAC refinement on the tortion angles that control the tilting of an OH group from a plane in a ligand bound to the protein. A few things that confused me:

1. In library cif file, should I just increase or decrease the tor.value_angle_esd if I want to loosen or tighten the restraits?

2. What is the meaning of the last column in torsion angle parameters: _chem_comp_tor.period, in cif file? In the PDB output file REFMAC also lists the RMS and WEIGHT for the torsion angles, period 1 through 4.

3. In REFMAC gui under Geometric parameters, there is only one user controlled weight for torsion. By changing the weight here, does it change the torsion weight for all 4 periods?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Huiying
--
Huiying Li, Ph. D
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry