On Tuesday 06 January 2009 08:35:19 Stephen Hare wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> We are currently working on a structure of apparent P21 symmetry which
> has been solved by molecular replacement. The data are to 2.7Å but the
> Rfree will not drop below 30%. The density is clear for the model we
> have, however there is extra density that suggests a shift of the
> structure by 16Å in either direction - resulting in three possible
> overlapping positions for the structure. We assume this is the result
> of twinning.

It sounds like an interesting case. You might want to go back and
closely inspect your diffraction images after reading this paper:

        J. Appl. Cryst. (2008). 41, 600-605
        Protein crystals can be incommensurately modulated
        JJ Lovelace, CR Murphy, L Daniels, K Narayan, CE Schutt,
        U Lindberg, C Svensson and GEO Borgstahl

I am not certain that your description matches this case, but it might.

        Ethan

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center