Dear Andreas and all,

refining multiple models together would sound like the most straightforward solution in a case like that. But (please correct me if I am wrong), generally, such trick can only work in P1: obviously, any symmetry operation (but lattice translation) applied to the shifted model will generate a wrong structure...

Furthermore, is there a way to do an "ensemble refinement " in phenix (or refmac)? In order to do that correctly one must be able to switch off all interactions between individual models, while keeping interactions within each model. Apparently, it can be done in CNS, although I could not find an example of an input file - can anyone share an example ?

and, by the way, what stops refmac or phenix developers to account for lattice translation defects during refinement?

Peter