Many thanks to all who responded to my earlier query (Drs. Paul Swepston, Randy
Read and Nicholas Glykos). I am trying to determine the structure of a very
long coiled
coil dimer (roughly 150 residues long) by molecular replacement. I don't know
if it forms a canonical coiled coil from end to end (it probably doesn't).  I
seem to get the right solution using
different lengths of polyala (and polygly and modeled ones with side-chains)
coiled coils as my search models (maps show some density for unmodeled parts of
the coiled coil structure). However, building a model accounting for the entire
sequence, getting the correct chain direction and placing residue side-chains
have proved difficult. And my R-facs have never improved beyond the low 50s
during different  refinement attempts. At
the moment, I have 3 more or less contiguous 30 residue stretches of coiled
coil found by 3 independent molecular replacement attempts using epmr (This was
done to account for possible bends, stutters in the dimer). I am trying to get
the rest of the model by new rounds of molecular replacement using epmr. I have
carried out exhaustive runs using epmr. But I haven't found the rest of the
model. What are the options available to me
with molecular replacement? I have tried molrep, phaser and amore from the ccp4
suite. My diffraction data is quite good (data between 25 and 2 A with an Rsym
of 8%).  I am currently using Qs on Dr. Glykos' advice. Can I run Qs when a
partial structure is available?
Xie