My home institution, in effort to cut costs, is making an effort to push those
of us on Macs onto PCs.  Up till now they have been very generous via a lease
program for computer hardware, but that is changing given the current
economics.  The institution currently does not support Linux so we are limited
to Mac and Windows OS.

We certainly make  use of William Scotts crystallography on OS X (thanks so
much!)  so our main argument is that we would have far more support "out there"
for crystallography on the Mac than we would have for on Windows.  But to be
fair (and hopefully bolster our argument) I should find out if that is true.  I
did not find an equal web support page for Windows.

A volunteer survey will be distorted (probably by Mac fanboys like me) so I am
asking for peoples best guesstimate as to what % use of  Mac, Windows, or Linux
is out there for data processing and model building.  Our core programs are
coot, o, pymol, cns, and ccp4 but we certainly make occasional use of other
crystallography programs out there (solve, epmr...)

Also what are the relative crystallography support for Mac vs. Windows.

Thanks in advance.

Todd

--
Todd M. Link