Todd,

Once upon a time I studied at an institution of higher learning. Its specialty
is (and was) the education of and participation in medical sciences (I guess
that?could be?an oxymoron, sorry). With that comes the securely keeping and
sharing (as needed) of patient data. The institutional bureaucrats decided that
Novell token ring networks?were the?best suited for that purpose?and that, on
the other?hand, TCP/IP was inherently insecure, so they were going to "do away
with TCP/IP networks". Shock was on the face of the workers. All academic and
scientific networks need TCP/IP.

The same thing was done as Bill says: we had to go in and argue that we didn't
work for the computer and network people, but they worked for us. I can't
remember if we did this - this was?long?before the time of ssh and sftp- long
ago,?but today I would bring up the argument of how much grant money and
overhead money (which pays for the computer and network people) scientists
bring in and that without the proper tools, these things cannot be perpetuated.

It would seem to me that you cannot run crystallography efficiently (!) on one
platform alone (no matter which one you choose). Some tasks, like grant
writing, are?easily done?on some platforms (windows or Mac, but not Unix/Linux)
etc. So the driving force should be "what needs to be done" and "how to best do
it". With that should come the realization that making you as a scientist less
efficient will translate into less ability to attract funds (because funds are
competitive), which does not affect only you, but the entire institution.

Things should not be and are not all about money, but that argument always
works - hit them in the pocket book and they will reconsider. There are ways of
cutting costs without doing away with capabilities. You can have groups of
people who use Windows and have support for that. At the same time you can have
other groups of people who use Macs with support for that. And you can make a
rule that if you want to be different from everyone in your group, you will
belong (for computing needs only) to the other group. That is how our
University tries to run things.

Mark