Cygwin has problems with Vista.. you need to run it as administrator.. works
fine with XP though. Moreover, Cygwin is not very well supported anymore, as
the developer works for Red Hat now. If it is just the X, there are other
free programs.. XMing is quite good.

You can indeed install Ubuntu under a virtual machine, and sun virtual box
is free for example.. but model building would be much slower.

Cheers, Partha

--
MRC National Institute for Medical Research
Division of Molecular Structure