On May 3, 2009, at 12:03, Nicholas M Glykos wrote:

Everything generally just works from the installers so I would say you
are more likely to be able to just get on with your structure-related
science on this OS that Linux.

I tried to recall when was the last time that we determined a structure without having to write a single line of code, or without having to modify sources (and recompile). Guess what: never happened (and, hopefully, never
will ;-)

Nichola - you are a lucky man to have such fun with your structures.

I am having a hard time trying to recall the last time I had to write a single line of code to solve a structure and I can most certainly ensure you that I have not compiled anything else than ARP/wARP (and this only in OSX) for the last 8-12 years. Most (if not all) structures we solve happen through GUIs and command lines.

I am not a Windows fun and I do not even like Windows. However, the inhabitants of this planet seem to be quite fond of this OS, so this fact - right or wrong - cannot be ignored. There is no fundamental reason that crystallography cannot be done in Windows. I seem to recall - and please correct me if I am wrong - that Ralf has once posted that some phenix modules run faster in Windows than other systems. I was configuring yesterday a 399 Euro machine from "Plaisio" (I am on "vacation" in greece) for my niece and I installed PyMol on it - and - hey: it actually look very much Ok.
And to be honest Vista is not as bad as most OSX forums think they are.

Will I change my Mac then? No. Will I scrap the FC10 workstations at the lab and install Windows 7 or Vista? No. Does this mean that Windows is a useless OS? No.

I guess this email was not very helpful and from this discussion I will keep
the coconut shells trick that Bill reminded us ... ;-)

Best -

Tassos