On May 10, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Phoebe Rice wrote:
Of COURSE the map will look lovely if you carve it off at 1.5A
from your atoms.  And your gels will look lovely too if you
just touch them up with with some white-out and a sharpie.
Do the honest thing and show the whole truth, using the
z-clipping to get a comprehensible slab.

Maybe we should give Jason the benefit of the doubt that he wants to present an honest representation of his density. Clipping off symmetry related molecules is not the same as "carving" density from amorphous blobs. The former is more akin to showing only part of a lane of a gel, which is common practice even in prestigious journals. In fact, my other monitor presently displays such a "carved" gel picture from a recent Cell paper.

James