Jason Porta <jpo...@unmc.edu> 05/09/09 3:19 PM >>>
Hi everybody,

Sorry if this message was already asked (I could not find it in the
archives). I am making a figure of a recently solved protein structure
including the electron density. I would like the electron density to
cover only the protein, and not where the symmetry-related atoms
are. [...] I have tried doing this using Coot [...], but have had no
luck as of yet.

Jason,

quick note: the reason this "fails" in Coot is because Coot assumes a match of the symmetry and cell in the model and map. To make this work in Coot you would need to create a map that does not have the same symmetry as the model (e.g. generate an "extended" map in P1). Perhaps this is possible with the SYMM card in mapmask. (You can then use the usual map masking extensions).

Paul.