Dear Engin,

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 12:20:31PM -0700, Engin Ozkan wrote:
> The take home message for me was that noone agrees on the best data
> collection strategy

No - since you have to factor in at least half a dozen parameters:
unfortunately there is no silver bullet :-(

> Another point is the success rate of software - be it direct methods
> based or Patterson based - with such data (where anomalous signal
> would die at even lower resolution) at solving the substructure.

In general you need better data for finding the HA substructure this
way then to solve it (where 'solve' can mean a lot of things,
e.g. breaking the phase ambiguity and getting some meaningful map).

> In another case, they confirmed the correct selenium sites with a
> platinum derivative data to further proceed with phasing.  To be
> honest, I can't ever get shelx to find my platinums with 6 A data :)

How do you know SHELXD hasn't found them? In my experience at this
kind of resolution you have to be careful to trust the usual criteria
for a good solution (CCall > 40% etc).

Maybe looking at good old fashioned anomalous Patterson Harker
sections?

Also: I've never had good experiences with Pt derivatives ... low
occupancy, VERY high B-values and generally a pain. I've seen people
using them very successfully though.

As Jim said: it's all about signal and noise. If you have lousy
crystals (large noise) you need to go for a large signal: one of those
Ta/W clusters maybe - and bootstrapping your way to the other
derivatives from there? Depending on the quality of your crystals (and
data collection) a weak Pt derivative might not be enough.

> Overall, it appears that with such data, there are too many places for
> failure.

Yes, such data isn't forgiving - but that makes success even
sweater. Remember that what we now see as a straightforward and nearly
trivial project was one of those 'really difficult structures' only a
few years back (and people did solve those structures).

Cheers

Clemens

*
*  Global Phasing Ltd.