measuring anomalous differences has nothing to do with resolution.
measuring anomalous differences has nothing to do with Rmerge.
measuring anomalous differences has EVERYTHING to do with signal and noise. (as does measuring anything else)

If your average anomalous difference is going to be ~5%, then you need to be able to measure a 5% change in spot intensity, yes? So, if you take your native data, and compare the merged values of I+ and I- (known in Scala as Ranom), and they are already more than 5% different, then ... you are in trouble. But if Ranom for native data is less than 5%, then you stand a chance of measuring a 5% difference.

That is, for native data, the "true" values of I+ and I- should be "the same" (within the Bijvoet ratio for the sulfurs, which is usually < 0.5%), so comparing I+ and I- for native data is actually a very good way to get your expected "anomalous error". You can improve this number by increasing redundancy, even if you reduce the exposure time to compensate. In fact, it is a VERY good idea to do this when trying to measure anomalous differences. Redundancy is good for anomalous, but bad for high-res data. Long exposures and fine slicing are good for high-res data, but bad for anomalous.

Resolution comes into play because the "anomalous error" will approach infinity as your spot intensity approaches zero, so you will never be able to measure anomalous differences for your highest resolution bin. The resolution to which you CAN measure anomalous differences (with a signal-to-noise ratio greater than one) will be the resolution where the cumulative Ranom rises to the Bijvoet ratio (5% in your case). That is, look for the resolution limit where the overall "native Ranom" is 5%, and that is the resolution to which you will probably get experimental phases.

If there is no such resolution limit (Ranom > 5% in all bins), then MAD/SAD will not work with your current data collection method. Higher redundancy is called for.

However, do not get too excited if this resolution limit is 6 A. Although 6 A phases are better than no phases at all, have you ever LOOKED at a 6 A map? It can be very hard to tell if it is protein or not, even with perfect phases and all the right hand choices, etc. Programs and crystallographers alike can get confused by this. I know that there are still many structural biologists out there who "just want to get the structure", but I remind you that you can already "get the structure" to ~50 A resolution with other techniques. Such as gel filtration. The success of phase extension does depend on resolution. Although I do not have a quantitative argument for it, the success of SAD structure determination at worse than 4 A does seem to drop precipitously. This could simply be correlated with the crappiness of the crystals, but it is important to remember that SAD relies heavily on density modification technology, such as solvent flattening and histogram matching, etc, and these methods loose a great deal of power as the resolution of the map decreases (and the protein-solvent contrast becomes less clear). IMHO it is ALWAYS better to collect MAD data, because then the dichotomous phase ambiguity is resolved experimentally. Two wavelengths are twice as good as one, even with the exposure time cut in half.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist

Engin Ozkan wrote:
Hi everyone,

I thought I start a new thread while it is unusually quiet on the bb. I am pondering over the practical limitations to MAD and SAD phasing with Se-Met at low resolution. What is the lowest resolution at which people have solved structures "only" using phases from selenium in a "realistic" case? Let me further qualify my question: My *realistic* *low* resolution case is where 1. Rmerge over all resolution bins is 6-10% (i.e. your crystals are lousy). 2. Resolution limit is worse than 3.5 Angstroms, where <I>/<sigma> in the last resolution bin is between 1 and 3 (i.e. your crystals are really lousy). 3. Assuming good selenium occupancy (~85%; I work with eukaryotic expression systems, so 100% is not usually achieavable), 4. The number of selenium atoms are enough many that the Crick-Magdoff equation would give you *at least* an average 5% change in intensities (assuming 6 electrons contributed per selenium, based on both absorptive and dispersive differences being at about 6 e- at the absorption edge). 5. and specifically, no other phases and molecular replacement solutions are available.

Obviously, I have a case very similar to what's described above, and three years of failure with heavy atom derivatization (I am still trying). I would be happy to hear about Se-Met cases, and data collection strategies (2wl vs. 3wl MAD vs. SAD, etc.) and phasing methods used in these cases, or references of them. Again, no other partial phases, and no data cut off at 3.6 A with an I/s of 15 in the last resolution bin. Are there any examples out there? Searching the RCSB and PubMed did not point out to me many successful cases.

Thanks,

Engin

P.S. I would also appreciate the specific query type for searching the PDB on the web for phasing method (MR, MAD, SAD, MIR, etc.). They seem to have everything under the sun searchable, but I cannot find this one.