On Wednesday 13 May 2009 10:22:54 Patrick Loll wrote:
> Greg Petsko's group did something like this about a billion years ago
> (yet, strangely, I remember the paper, even though I'd be stumped if
> you asked me what I had for breakfast...)
>
> They covered the range from room temp down to very cold, using
> different cryoprotectants (importantly, they were not vitrifying
> their samples).  I recall a plot of ADPs vs. temp that showed an
> essentially linear decrease down to some temp (maybe around 150 K or
> so?), after it plateaued, with no further reductions being seen at
> even very low temp. They rationalized this by saying (I think) that
> the decrease represented the dynamic disorder, which was damped at
> low temperatures, and the plateau represented the point where static
> disorder became the predominant contributor.

The problem with this and other older protein work is that it predates our
current capabilities to handle models of anisotropy in protein structures.
The interesting temperature-dependent effect manifests most significantly
as an evolution of anisotropy. It is not well captured by looking
only at isotropic B factors.

        Ethan

--
Ethan A Merritt