In practice, relative to the Rfree set discussion that started this, I think this also means that once an Rfree set is chosen and a model has been refined using that Rfree set, the Rfree set should be kept.

All the best,
Tom T

On Sep 24, 2009, at 9:41 AM, Ian Tickle wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk [mailto:owner- ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk]
On
Behalf Of Eric Bennett
Sent: 24 September 2009 13:31
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Rfree in similar data set

Ian Tickle wrote:

For that to
be true it would have to be possible to arrive at a different
unbiased
Rfree from another starting point.  But provided your starting point
wasn't a local maximum LL and you haven't gotten into a local maximum
along the way, convergence will be to a unique global maximum of the
LL,
so the Rfree must be the same whatever starting point is used (within
the radius of convergence of course).

But if you're using a different set of data the minima and maxima of
the function aren't necessarily going to be in the same place.  Rfree
is supposed to inform about overfitting.  In an overfitting situation
there are multiple possible models which describe the data well and
which overfit solution you end up with could be sensitive to the data
set used.  The provisions that you haven't gotten stuck in a local
maximum and are within radius of convergence don't seem safe
considering historical situations that led to the introduction of
Rfree.  What algorithm is going to converge main chain tracing errors
to the correct maximum?  Thinking about that situation, isn't part of
the goal of Rfree to give you a hint in situations where you have, in
fact, gotten stuck in a local maximum due to a significant error in
the model that places it outside the radius of convergence of the
refinement algorithm?

Hi Eric,

Yes clearly the function optima won't necessarily be in the same place
for different datasets; the question is whether the distance between the optima is less than the convergence radius. This will depend largely on whether the datasets have similar dmin; if they do then the differences
will be largely random measurement errors (I'm assuming that there's
nothing fundamentally wrong with the data).  Then there should be no
problem re-refining against the 2nd dataset, and the Rfree will be
unbiased at the global optimum.  The more common situation perhaps is
that the 2nd dataset is at much higher resolution; in that case it's
quite likely that there are undetected local optima in the model from
the 1st dataset that only become apparent in the maps when the 2nd
dataset is used.  In that case refinement is almost certainly not the
answer (or at least not the whole answer), you're going to have to go
back to the maps and model building.

On the question of overfitting, again any problems of local optima
(possibly indicated by a higher than expected Rfree as you say) have to
be resolved first for each of your candidate parameterizations of the
model, as best as the data will allow.  Then if you find that Rfree at
convergence is higher (or LLfree lower) for one parameterization than
another, you choose the parameterization with the lower Rfree (higher
LLfree) to go forward.  You cannot safely reject a model as being
overfitted if the refinement generating the Rfree didn't converge, so
that the Rfree is unbiased.  I don't see the problem there (except of
course in choosing which parameterizations to try).

I think you misunderstood my provisos, I was only doing that to simplify
the argument; if there are local optima then they have to be resolved,
most likely by means other than refinement, but their presence does not
affect the argument about Rfree bias.  My contention is that once all
issues of local optima are resolved, by whatever means it takes, you
will end up at the same unique global optimum no matter where you
started from (unless of course you're very unlucky and there are
multiple global optima with identical likelihoods but I think we can
discount that as unlikely!), and therefore Rfree must be unbiased at
that point.  At intermediate points in this process (i.e. on the paths
connecting optima), Rfree has no meaning or indeed usefulness and
therefore the question whether it's biased or not is also meaningless.

Cheers

-- Ian

Disclaimer
This communication is confidential and may contain privileged information intended solely for the named addressee(s). It may not be used or disclosed except for the purpose for which it has been sent. If you are not the intended recipient you must not review, use, disclose, copy, distribute or take any action in reliance upon it. If you have received this communication in error, please notify Astex Therapeutics Ltd by emailing i.tic...@astex-therapeutics.com and destroy all copies of the message and any attached documents. Astex Therapeutics Ltd monitors, controls and protects all its messaging traffic in compliance with its corporate email policy. The Company accepts no liability or responsibility for any onward transmission or use of emails and attachments having left the Astex Therapeutics domain. Unless expressly stated, opinions in this message are those of the individual sender and not of Astex Therapeutics Ltd. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of computer viruses. Astex Therapeutics Ltd accepts no liability for damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. E-mail is susceptible to data corruption, interception, unauthorized amendment, and tampering, Astex Therapeutics Ltd only send and receive e-mails on the basis that the Company is not liable for any such alteration or any consequences thereof. Astex Therapeutics Ltd., Registered in England at 436 Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge CB4 0QA under number 3751674

Thomas C. Terwilliger
Mail Stop M888
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, NM 87545

Tel:  505-667-0072                 email: terwilli...@lanl.gov
Fax: 505-665-3024                 SOLVE web site: http://solve.lanl.gov
PHENIX web site: http:www.phenix-online.org
ISFI Integrated Center for Structure and Function Innovation web site:
http://techcenter.mbi.ucla.edu
TB Structural Genomics Consortium web site: http://www.doe-mbi.ucla.edu/TB
CBSS Center for Bio-Security Science web site: http://www.lanl.gov/cbss