Von: Natalie Zhao <natalie.z...@stfc.ac.uk>
Betreff: [ccp4bb] FW: [ccp4]: TDS upon flashcooling
An: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Datum: Dienstag, 15. Dezember 2009, 13:20

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-c...@dl.ac.uk [mailto:owner-c...@dl.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Rafael
Couñago
Sent: 14 December 2009 20:22
To: c...@ccp4.ac.uk
Subject: [ccp4]: TDS upon flashcooling

Dear all,

I got these beautiful looking crystals that grow in high salt (1.8M) and
diffract under 2.0A at room temp.  My attempts so far to cryo protect
them have resulted in a loss of resolution (2.5A tops) and increased
anisotropy.

I have tried some of the usual suspects; no cryo, ethylene glycol,
glycerol (even 5% makes my crystal crack), sucrose, glucose, paratone-n
(no diffraction at all).  I have tried both dipping the crystal straight
into liquid nitrogen and flash cooling it in the cryostream.

An interesting observation is that the diffraction pattern following
freezing has a substantial amount of thermal diffuse scattering (but no
ice rings).  If I remove the crystal from the cryostream and re-anneal
it at room temp (in air or in mother liquor or mother liquor + cryo)
most of the TDS goes away, but the max resolution is still around 2.5A
and the higher anisotropy is still there.  Extending re-annealing times
lead to cracking of the crystal.

My two questions would be:

- any thoughts on cryo solutions?
- does the result from the re-annealing experiment  ring any bells?
Would this be an indication that I need the cooling to be faster or slower?

Cheers,

Rafael.

--
Rafael Couñago