Ed,

When denzo integrates the frame it thinks that the step size is 0.5
deg./frame, when it is zero.  Denzo compensates for this by adjusting
CRYST ROTX by -0.5 deg/frame.  The change in CRYST ROT X is taken by
scalepack as a crystal slippage.  Scalepack may have difficulty adding
partials from 1000 frames, given that the FORTRAN programs's array sizes
are fixed.  Even scalepackvirus could have trouble, as this is a most
abnormal data collection.

The denzo keywords are:
OSCILLATION START 0
OSCILLATION STEP 0.001
OSCILLATION RANGE 0.5

also fixing the mosaicity may help

To avoid the Scalepack problems try:
{do not use the ADD PARTIALS keyword}
do not POSTREFINE either

Ed, if you just want to combine the images into a single image file, you
could modify the program we use to add MacScience or Quantum4 "still"
images.  This is a highly useful way of improving statistics from very
small crystals with weak home sources.  We have been able to index some
exceptionally small crystals this way.  Crystals so small that you might
not even consider shooting them on a normal beamline.  Let me know and
I'll send you the code.

Hope that this helps,
Mark

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 08:57 -0600, Ed Pozharski wrote:

> Mark,
>
> denzo integrates frames just fine, it's the *scaling* that crashes.
>
> Ed.
>
> On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 07:35 -0600, White, Mark wrote:
> > Ed,
> >
> > Check the DENZO manual.  I am away from the office, so I do not have access
> > right now.  I remember a DENZO Keyword such as STEP, which should solve
> > your problem.
> >
> > You will need to run denzo manually, or via a command line script.
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Mark

Yours sincerely,

Mark A. White, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology,
Manager, Sealy Center for Structural Biology and Molecular Biophysics
X-ray Crystallography Laboratory,
Basic Science Building, Room 6.660 C
University of Texas Medical Branch
Galveston, TX 77555-0647