Nat,

A few years ago I had K channel crystals that formed under similar
conditions.  I found that using MPD as a cryo-protectant worked best.  As
for the evaporation issue, I had a little extra time as I was performing the
mounting in a cold room.

Scott

Pegan S, Arrabit C, Zhou W, Kwiatkowski W, Collins A, Slesinger PA, Choe S.
Nat Neurosci. 2005 Mar;8(3):279-87. Epub 2005 Feb 20.

--
Scott D. Pegan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor