Hello Matthew,

I almost always charge my IMAC resin with Co instead of Ni. I find that it
gives much better purity because the selectivity is better. This is because the
coordination sphere around the Co atoms require more His residues than the Ni
coordination sphere. I believe Co requires 4 His, while Ni only requires 2.
That being said, although it is more selective, proteins with a His tag are
likely to have lower affinity for Co, and will therefore elute in lower
imidazole concentrations, and if your His tag is not entirely exposed, you may
have issues getting it to bind at all. I have never had this problem, but I
have heard that it can be an issue. It is probably worthwhile to try cobalt,
but do it under the assumption that there is a small chance you will have to go
back to Ni.

Also, if you use cobalt, you may notice a slight color change in the column
when you run it under certain buffer conditions. Some additives cause the color
to change from light pink to a purplish color. This is ok, the column will
still bind your protein fine. Just be sure to look in the resin manufacturer's
manual to make sure you don't have any incompatible components in your buffer.
In general, anything that can go over the column when it is charged with Ni
should be ok for Co as well.

Good luck,

Mike Thompson