Non-symmetric tetramers: you can check out Tete-Favier et al (1993), Acta Cryst. D49, 246: the quaternary structure was assumed to have local 222 symmetry. It turned out this was not exactly the case: the actual symmetry of the object (the molecule) was "pseudo" 2t2t2t. So in addition to 2-fold axes being common as an assembly mechanism (leading to the quite common 222 symmetry) you can have deviations from this symmetry.

Fred.

Fred wrote:
Dear CCP4bb,
Could someone please, point me to some references about non-symmetric tetramers? If I have a tetramer composed by 4 identical subunits, it'll always have a P4 point group symmetry?
Thank in advance,
Tomb