Thanks all of you who promptly replied my question.
I should have been more precise. I was referring to the symmetry of the tetrameric particle (point symmetry) at the molecular level not at the atomic level. This question has arisen because I have collected some SAXS data of my protein in solution and I don't have a molecular model to superpose to the experimental envelop. Others experimental data, gel filtration and NAT-PAGE, suggest a tetrameric particle. On the other side, P1, P2, P222 and P4 experimental envelops are quite different. So, I am not sure which symmetry to take. Considering the native state (no ligands at all), 4 identical subunits and that the interface of oligomarization have to be conserved, I would take P222 or P4. However, I can be able to imagine such spacial arrangement without a 4-fold axis at the molecular level. Indeed, even my P222 experimental envelop does have a 4-fold axis.
I appreciate if you could add some more comments on this.
Thanks in advance,
Fred

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:31:45 -0300