From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] On Behalf Of
Vellieux Frederic
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 03:35 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] non-symmetric tetramer ?

Non-symmetric tetramers: you can check out Tete-Favier et al (1993),
Acta Cryst. D49, 246: the quaternary structure was assumed to have local

222 symmetry. It turned out this was not exactly the case: the actual
symmetry of the object (the molecule) was "pseudo" 2t2t2t. So in
addition to 2-fold axes being common as an assembly mechanism (leading
to the quite common 222 symmetry) you can have deviations from this
symmetry.

Fred.

Fred wrote:
> Dear CCP4bb,
> Could someone please, point me to some references about non-symmetric
> tetramers? If I have a tetramer composed by 4 identical subunits,
> it'll always have a P4 point group symmetry?
> Thank in advance,
> Tomb

This message and any attachments are solely for the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
disclosure, copying, use or distribution of the information
included in this message is prohibited -- Please
immediately and permanently delete.