On 03/09/10 12:44, Rex Palmer wrote:
This is not really protein crystallography but we are trying to model build a ligand into a protein binding site. A similar ligand is already in place and we want to replace this by initially superimposing a phenyl ring which is common to both ligands. We understand that such superpositioning can be done with eg Quanta but do not have access to this program. Does anyone know of a downloadable program that we could use instead?

Something like this is in Coot, but not exactly what you say that you want (because this method uses LSQ fit on all the atoms that match by sub-graph analysis [1]):

http://www.biop.ox.ac.uk/coot/doc/coot.html#Ligand-Overlaying

Paul.

[1] Krissinel & Henrick "Common subgraph isomorphism detection by backtracking search" (2004) /Software - Practics and Experience/, *34*, 591-607.