From: xaravich ivan
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2010 10:59 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Fab purification and crystallization

Hi CCP4bb,

I have two questions regarding Fab purification and Fab-antigen complex
crystallization and would really appreciate any input from the experienced
board.

1) I have got some hits for Fab-antigen complex (150 kD) but they are all
needle clusters. Whatever fine screen I formulate, it always gives me these
needle clusters. Are there some better common ways to change needles to single
crystals?

2) I have certain IgGs from which I purify the Fab by papain digestion (resin
from ThermoSci). One of the first steps is to dialyze the IgG with the
digestion buffer,( 20mM Na-phosphate and 10mM EDTA pH 7.0) Over night. I always
get 30-60% of the IgG precipitated during this overnight dialysis. I tried to
increase the salt by adding 200mM NaCl but of no effect. Have anyone
experienced such problem? Is there any thing that could be tried to stop this
precipitation.

thanks in advance.

ivan