I have always found this angle independence difficult. Why, if the anomalous
scattering is truly angle-independent, don't we just put the detector at 90 or
180deg and solve the HA substructure by Patterson or direct methods using the
pure anomalous scattering intensities? Or why don't we see pure "anomalous
spots" at really high resolution? I think Bart Hazes' B-factor idea is right,
perhaps, but I think the lack of pure anomalous intensities needs to be
explained before understanding the angle-independence argument.

JPK