Hi Ed

refmac 5.6 should not have this problem. Yes, you are right. It should be
considered as a bug.
I think I have fixed it. Could you please try 5.6version from:

www.ysbl.york.ac.uk/refmac/latest_refmac.html

You need to take experimental version (it should be stable enough, although I
update it more often than older versions). In this version to make external
restraints as covalent bonds you need to specify type 1 (type 0 means
dictionary values will be overwritten and type 2 is external restraints for
non-covalent bonds)

I hope it helps

regards
Garib