Ed,

> On a practical side, I now have a misleading bond_rmsd value.  The
> correct one can be calculated as described, but this may make geometry
> weight optimization cumbersome.  Do I understand correctly that an
> alternative is to monitor Zbonds, with a rule that it should be around
> 1.0?

No, the average value of Zbonds over the whole PDB is almost exactly
0.5 (there's no clear resolution-dependence), so that would be a good
starting point.  Re-refinement of ~98% of the PDB (PDB-REDO project)
using weight optimisation showed a linear dependence of Zbonds on
resolution in the resolution range 1 to 3 Ang.:

Zbonds = 0.85 - 0.146*dmin  (SD = 0.2)

so e.g. <Zbonds> = 0.56 @ 2 Ang.

Cheers

-- Ian

> And more generally, shouldn't we not look at rmsd_bonds at all and
> only use Zbonds instead (which is, I assume, an average bond length
> deviation to the target value ratio?)

Correct.

> I suspect that "acceptable"
> bond_rmsd value is slightly affected by sequence.

Not really, the effect of sequence on the bond lengths is
insignificant in comparison with the uncertainty.

Cheers

-- Ian