On 10/15/10 12:38, Bart Hazes wrote:
> The photon moves through the crystal in finite time and most of the time
> it keeps going without interacting with the crystal, i.e. no
> diffraction. However, if diffraction occurs it is instantaneous, or at
> least so fast as to consider it instantaneous. In some cases a
> diffracted photon diffracts another time while passing through the
> remainder of the crystal. Or in Ruppian terms, a poof-pop-poof-pop
> event. If you listen carefully you may be able to hear it.

   The photon both diffracts and doesn't diffract as it passes through
the crystal and it diffracts into all the directions that match the Bragg
condition.  The wave function doesn't collapse to a single outcome until
the detector measures something - which in the scheme of things occurs
long after the photon left the crystal.

   The photon also interacts with the electrons for as long as the
wave functions overlap.  You have to solve the time-dependent Schrodinger
equation to get the details.  In all the the QM classes I've had they
start by writing the time-dependent equation and then immediately
erasing it - never to be mentioned again.  All the rest of the term was
spent with the time-independent equation and the approximation of the
"instantaneous quantum jump."  If you assume that nothing changes with
time the only way to model changes is with discontinuities.

Dale