>but yes, each "photon" really does interact with
EVERY ELECTRON IN THE CRYSTAL at once.

Take a crystal from the cave...10m long..perhaps not 'really'...

It is however helpful to think of a coherence volume
of the photon in which it interacts with every atom.
We had some discussions and estimates before, and starting
from transition lifetime we ended up with an estimated 'single
photon coherence length' of a several 1000 A to several 10um
or so on synchrotron sources.

These numbers at least seem reasonable and are not contradicting
any practical observations. What 'really' happens depends
on your definition of reality....I like the photon annihilation-
creation picture, but in condensed multi-particle matter that
also stretches at least my imagination...

Best, BR