I've been told by my (frighteningly geek-competent) colleague that the platters are identical, but the cheaper ones are those at the bottom of the Quality Control pile, which are therefore spun more slowly, and don't get any claims of reliability.

(Have you checked the disk rotation speed? I imagine the Dell ones go much faster.)

phx