It is not at all unusual for a biological homodimer to sit on a
crystallographic two-fold symmetry axis.  It is also not unusual
for such a dimer to sit entirely in the asymmetric unit.  This
cannot be used to identify the space group.

   The space group is determined by the diffraction data.  The
difference between C2221 and P212121 is that many of the reflections
predicted for P212121 have intensity equal to zero in C2221.  Since
you have a confusion between these two, I presume the P212121 model
has a pseudotranslational symmetry of (0.5,0.5,0.0).  This pseudo-
translational symmetry should be reported by xtriage, and will
mislead the twin detection tests.

   To determine which of these choices is the correct space group
you do not perform refinement, you look at the diffraction pattern
to see if there are non-zero intensities for the spots that must
be zero if the space group were C2221.  In P212121 with pseudo-C
centering these spots will be weak but observable.

   I am not surprised that your refinement in P212121 gives higher
R values than C2221.  In P212121 with pseudo-C symmetry half of
the reflections are weak and will have low signal/noise ratio.
With the assumption of C centering these weak reflections are
discarded and the R values will go down.  Your goal is not to
reduce the R values, but to fit the data.  If these reflections
have non-zero intensities you must integrate them and add them
to your refinement.

Dale Tronrud