Its may be an interesting question of pseudosymmetry.  The best thing would be
to find a local mentor who could have a good hands-on look, but here are some
thoughts:

>From the space group tables you will see that P212121 has half as many
>asymmetric units as C2221, and C2221 has crystallographic twofold axes that
>your dimer could lie on.  So both space groups are perfectly consistent with
>the protein being a dimer.  (You must be able to see the symmetric dimer when
>you rebuild your model in C2221 during the refinement process?)
The R-factor might be higher in P212121 because you're refining two molecules
instead of one, and thus there are more degrees of freedom.  If the space group
does turn out to be P212121, you should probably find a local expert for
detailed refinement advice.

The centering in C2221 should give a different pattern of systematically
missing spots, so you should have a carefull look at the original images and
the output of the scaling in C2221, and see if the additional missing spots are
really missing or not.  (Don't forget the axes may be permuted between the two
indexing systems).  If they're present but weak, its P212121.  In that case,
you should note that the systematically weak spots will distort the standard
twinning statistics.

Hope that helps!
  Phoebe

Phoebe A. Rice
Dept. of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
The University of Chicago
phone 773 834 1723
http://bmb.bsd.uchicago.edu/Faculty_and_Research/01_Faculty/01_Faculty_Alphabetically.php?faculty_id=123
http://www.rsc.org/shop/books/2008/9780854042722.asp